Salmon Escalope with Champagne Nage
Prep. Time: 45 min. (For 6 Servings)
- 1/4 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 4 fluid ounces champagne, plus additional 1 tbsp
- 1 pint fish stock
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1. Sauce: Melt 1/4 ounce of the butter in a saucepan, add the shallot and cook, without browning just until softened. Add 4 fluid ounces of champagne and boil for 2 minutes, then add the stock and sugar.
2. Boil the sauce until it is reduced by three-quarters. Add half the cream, bring to boil again and reduce until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Place mixture aside to cool.
3. Salmon escalopes: Remove any bones from the fillet with tweezers or by trapping them between the point of a small, sharp knife and your thumb. Then, with a large filleting knife or carving knife, cut the salmon into 12 slices about 1/4 inch thick, holding the knife at a 45-degree angle to the fillet and cutting at a slant down towards the skin. This will give you wider slices.
4. Brush each escalope with a little of the oil, season lightly with salt then put them on a lightly oiled baking tray. Preheat the oven to broil. Place the salmon in the oven to cook to desired doneness, about 7-10 minutes for medium.
5. Sauce: Whisk the remaining cream with the 1 tablespoon of champagne and 2 teaspoons of the chopped thyme.
6. Unscrew the top off the dispenser, then screw on the tip of your choice while holding in place the valve stem under the cap. Be sure to screw the tip on tightly. Make sure that the gasket is firmly in place on the underside of the head.
7. Pour the champagne foam liquid mixture it into the siphon of the dispenser. Screw the top evenly and firmly onto the bottle. Do not cross-thread. Place N2O cartridge in the holder with the small end visible. Twist charger holder onto head until gas is released.
8. Shake the dispenser 3-6 times. To assemble the dish plate, place salmon in a shallow bowl or bowl. Dispense the champagne foam as needed by pressing on the lever and pouring it around the salmon. Sprinkle the remaining thyme around the fish before serving.